Tuesday, June 23, 2009

the boogey man

I've had several ideas for this post floating in my head...still don't know which I will go with but I do know the story I want to start with

Picture this...late 1980s, early 1990s. My brother and I had this scary yet ridiculously hilarious mask that we dubbed the "boogey man". We were fascinated by it during daylight hours and played with it but come night insisted that it went in the closet. I will never understand how we could love that mask and fear it at the same time. Needless to say being the youngest my brother also got huge satisfaction out of scaring me with that thing. As far as I know the boogey man still lives in the attic or atleast his face does.

At some point you outgrow the thought of the boogey man and realize he doesn't exist anymore than the giant creepy easter bunny, santa claus who any other time would be called a pedophile and the disgruntled fairy with nothing better to do than to collect teeth.

If you are lucky thats the way it stays....if not you may just learn the boogey man does exist....just not quite how you pictured him. No this boogey man could look just like every other person...no green skin or orange hair like that old mask. He doesn't lurk in the dark. No this boogey man comes in my nightmares, in my flashbacks and in moments that I least expect. Sometimes I think I have moved on from being so terrified only to find out that was only a false sense of security...that deep down I am still terrified of my boogey man. Not for the fact that I think he's still out there waiting to get me but for the fact of what he's done....he's already gotten me!

No comments:

Post a Comment