Tuesday, March 8, 2011

rambling

So I never post about a prognosis or anything like that. The thing with CF is that it is 100% fatal unless something else gets you first. But its different for every person.

Really though scary enough all it takes is one bad infection that spreads or one really bad resistant bacteria and BAM downhill fast. Especially for someone like me with a weak immune system. Sometimes its just the wear and tear from the repeated infections that eventually causes respiratory failure and death. In some cases liver failure causes it.

I don't know what the next infection will bring, I don't know if I will pick up a bad bug. I just don't know. Noone but God does. Heck I may live to be the oldest CF patient ever or live to see a cure.

Right now we treat my infections aggressively and I start antibiotics at any sign of a fever (for me the first sign of infection). We treat the symptoms best we can. I take enzymes to replace what my pancreas fails to do. I take many medications and do many therapy hours to help me breathe.

I know noone has any guarantees...we're all terminal. I just take it day by day and enjoy what I have been blessed with. Somehow each day is better when you realize just how fragile life is. God knows my days on this earth...He knew before I was born how many days I would live.

Many healthy people die unexpectadly everyday.

So I do not know how my disease will progress or how fast. I don't know if the next infection will kill me. I do know everyday I am blessed with is a fantastic gift from God and that this world is not my home. I don't know. Yes the average life expectancy is 37....but thats just it AVERAGE. I work hard to stay as healthy as I can be, my parents work hard to ensure I have the best care, the best medicine and the best equipment. I have many many faithful prayer warriors...probably more than I will ever know.

So I continue everyday to try and kick CF's butt. Enjoy eachday....thats a lesson we all need to learn. Live day to day...tomorrow's worries will wait until tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment