Tuesday, April 3, 2012

it really is an illness....

Being home hasn't been all sunshine and roses. The adjustment from an extremely controlled enviroment where I was literally NEVER alone and was watched 24/7 for most of the days I was there to home where though I have a tight knit family noone can be with me 24/7. The enviroment is not controlled...there are pill bottles, knives, razors and assorted sharp objects. I'm in charge of my medication...noone is there to make me take it or remind me to take it

I was also with people who were like me and people who understood people like me. I've been blessed with a wonderfully supportive family and friends but there are always people who don't get it.

Depression is an illness! Serotonin is as real as insulin and I don't see anyone denying that diabetes is an illness! Yes there are non medicine ways to treat depression just like diet can treat diabetes or airway clearance can help CF but anyone with true depression is going to need meds too

Its taken me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I am not a freak, a loser, weak, not Christian enough etc. Yes I've heard all those things at one time or another. I am sick. Just like CF makes me sick, depression makes me sick. If my serotonin levels were anywhere near normal I would be dead from serotonin overload syndrome from all the meds I'm on...thats proof enough for me that it is a chemical imbalance.

Yes other factors play in and can worsen depression but at its core its a chemical imbalance.

And a lot of people don't get that. I'm not weak, I'm not a bad Christian, I'm not a freak. I am sick. I can't help it. I can try my hardest to make improvements, work hard in therapy but nothing can cure the imbalance of chemicals.

I've become an outspoken voice for depression and other mental illness because I hate to see others go without treatment due to lack of support or the stigma associated with it. I am very outspoken about my battles, mostly in hopes that other people will see they aren't alone and that maybe just maybe I will inspire one person to get the help they need

No comments:

Post a Comment