Sunday, November 27, 2011

Who am I? Yes it does make a difference...

Live like you're loved by the Lord up above
Spread out your wings and never give up
'cause you can do anything, be who you're meant to be
Always remember to dream and keep your head up
And live like you're loved
Live like you're loved
Oh, live like you're loved

"Live like you're loved" Mark Schultz

Sadly enough most of the time I don't live like that. I'm trying really hard to change that. Face it all too often we define ourselves as someone's daughter or sister or mother....by the job we have....by what we like to do. For the 4 years of Ellie's life I prided myself in being "Ellie's owner".

On the other side of the coin we too often let our mistakes or someone elses define us....as an alcoholic or drug user, self injurer or bulemic, rape survivor/victim. Or we let our health define us....cystic fibrosis sufferer, cancer survivor, stroke victim, depression sufferer etc.

We become what we define ourselves as like it or not. If its negative then we see ourselves in a negative light and only see our mistakes. If its by your job...what if you lose it? Or in my case I lost my Ellie.

All my teenager years and now I struggle to define who I am. So that song hit home hard. I am afterall a daughter of the king...I'm a Christian. So why don't I "live like I'm loved by the lord up above"?

I'm more than my mistakes, more than my past, more than the people who have hurt me. If I let it, yes those things and people will define me. But I don't HAVE to let it.

SO I went on a search for Who I am in God's eyes

I am fearfully and wonderfully made (psalm 139)

I am a new creation (2 corinthians 5:17)

I am forgiven of all my sins and washed by the blood (Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 9:14, Colossians 1:14, 1 John 2:12, 1 John 1:9)

I am complete in Christ (colossians 2:9-10)

I am a citizen of heaven (philippians 3:20)

I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me (john 5:18)

I am God's workmanship (ephesians 2:10)

Now those are something to identify ourselves by!! I am challenging myself to take hold of that identity. All those years of feeling never good enough or smart enough or talented enough or pretty enough...GONE! I am enough....God says it and if I am good enough for Him then why do any of those other things matter? In light of those things all my past mistakes fade away, all the things done to me fade away and I become the daughter of a king. I am Bekah and I belong to God! That is the identity I should be embracing....embrace that and the hurt of the past and the mistakes of the past fade away and all that is left is God.

I have challenged myself this week to say as soon as I get up "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" and do this each week with a different identity in Christ. I don't expect instant results but I do expect God to work in wondeful ways as I claim who I am in Him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment