Monday, October 5, 2009

Why is it.........

That sexual assault is still something that seems to brand the victims. Puts a scarlet letter on you.

For example I've been asked was it consensual...umm I just called it rape...what do you think idiot?

Its boggles my mind...do we ask someone who was badly beaten if they consented to the beating? Do we ask a robbery victim if they gave the robber permission. Or why they "let" that robber rob them?

So why is it okay to ask a rape victim? I can excuse it from law enforcement, medical personal responding to a rape...they're doing their jobs. But family? Friends? etc.

I did not ask for it. I did not want it. I did not enjoy it. My life was threatened, getting away would have meant outrunning a vehicle. It does not make me a slut, whore or anyone other than a victim of a horrendous crime.

It does not get me a scarlet letter, it does not make a bad Christian or a sinner. It makes a victim, a survivor of something that I had no control over, that has changed my life forever

And no I can't "get over it". I can't forget it. And I'm not going to stop talking about it because it makes some people uncomfortable. What if it was your wife, daughter, sister, niece or friend? And it might very well be one day

Why is it rape victims get very little support. Noone around them wishes to talk about it. Everyone aroun d me pretends it never happened. That doesn't help. That makes me feel even worse. Would it be different if it had been other crime that I was the victim of?

No comments:

Post a Comment