Thursday, October 15, 2009

why?

I've been thinking. Lately I have been on a reading kick especially memoirs of other rape victims...

Problem? The entire local library system has 3 such books.....After Silence, Lucky and I'm the central park jogger. All the other libraries in the regional system don't fair any better.

I even went to what would be the biggest books a million around here. I could find not one of the books I was looking for. They did have the rape survival guide and several books geared towards child abuse.

Why is books a million had more books on erectile dysfunction than rape?

Even better try finding a book about Christian rape survivors...apparently its a taboo subject.

Why? Rape isn't about sex. Its violence...a crime. I saw numerous books geared towards domestic abuse survivors, familes who have had a loved one murdered, drunk driving accident victims.

Is it that rape survivors are too afraid to speak up? That wouldn't surprise me considered the its the most under reported crime, the one where the victim is most likely to carry the guilt and shame and the one with the worst conviction rate as it often turns into she said/he said.

Is it considered too taboo? Too scary?

I can understand its not something the average person would want to read about but when you've been there...you just want to not feel alone be it through reading someone elses story, hearing it etc. Because I do feel isolated, alienated and all alone. I do feel like people wonder why I didn't fight harder etc. I did what I had to do to survive....thats all there is. To fight would have meant to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment